Who's Your Doppelgänger?

Have you ever been told you look like a someone? That they're your "doppelgänger"? I have. In fact, I am regularly told I look like others... as in multiple others. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but being told I look like someone else makes me quite uncomfortable. I'm not offended; not at all. I think it's more that I don't really know what they're saying or why they're saying it. Do they think it's a compliment? Is it a compliment? Is it merely a statement? Some comparisons I can't help but wonder if 1) they even know what I look like or 2) they know what the person they're comparing me to looks like? Either way, I never know how to respond. And so I get awkward. I mean, how are you supposed to respond? Do you say thank you? Thank you for what? For telling me I look like someone else...? Is that something you thank someone for? I really have no idea. So I usually just chortle - awkwardly - and say with a grin, "How funny." Then I chortle some more - all very awkwardly. I'm so cool.

I suppose I should clarify that this whole doppelgänger "dilemma" really isn't a dilemma at all. In fact, the only reason I'm mentioning this at all is because I've had a lot of doppelgänger mentions these past two weeks. And as awkward as I get in the moment, I actually find it all quite hilarious. I look like who? You think I look like a bad guy? Ok, I can work with that. I'm sorry, who even is that? It's so funny to me.

These are just a few of my most repeated and/or recent "doppelgängers".

Sienna Miller "...especially in GI Joe"

Jennifer Lawrence "...with long hair"

Kate Winslet "It's the face."

Rebel Wilson

Elisabeth Shue back in the days of Karate Kid and such.

What do you think?

Post a Comment