Christmas Shoes

You know the whole—can you listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving—debate? I couldn’t care less. There are far more important things to fret about in the world. So if you don’t listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving, good for you. And if you do listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving, good for you too.

Now. My Grandma’s kitchen radio is literally always on. Always. Music, news, talk shows… but always on. So last night my Grandma’s radio was on to FM 100.3, on which they were playing Christmas music (thus my intro). Having grown accustomed to this constant radio noise, I paid little attention to it. That is until one of my all time favorite tear jerkers, Christmas Shoes came on. The tears came even before the singer had sung his first line. The lyrics read,

It was almost Christmas time

There I stood in another line

Tryin to buy that last give or two

I'm really in Christmas mood


Standing right in front of me

Was a little boy waiting anxiously

Pacing around like little boys do

And in his hands he had 

A pair of shoes

And his clothes were worn and old

He was dirty from head to toe

And when it came his time to pay

I couldn't believe what I heard him say

Sir I wanna buy these shoes for my Momma please

It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size

Could you hurry Sir?
Daddy says there's not much time

You see she's been sick for quite a while

And I know these shoes will make her smile

And I want it to look beautiful

If Momma meets Jesus tonight

They counted pennies for what seems like years

And cashier says son there's not enough here

He searches is pockets frantically 

And he turned and he looked at me


And he said Momma made Christmas good in our house

Most years she just did without

Tell me Sir
What am I gonna do?

Some how I gotta buy her these Christmas shoes

So I lend the money down

I just had to help him out

And I'll never forget
The look on his face

When he said Momma's gonna look so great

Sir I wanna buy these shoes for my Momma please

It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size

Could you hurry Sir?
Daddy says there's not much time

You see she's been sick for quite a while

And I know these shoes will make her smile

And I want it to look beautiful

If Momma meets Jesus tonight

I know I won't regret some help as he thanked me and ran out

I know that God sent that little boy to remind me

What Christmas is all about

Sir I wanna buy these shoes for my Momma please

It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size

Could you hurry Sir?
Daddy says there's not much time

You see she's been sick for quite a while

And I know these shoes will make her smile

And I want it to look beautiful

If Momma meets Jesus tonight

I want it to look good
If Momma meet's Jesus tonight

Beautifully emotional right? Geez, my eyes leak just thinking about it. To be honest, however, this beautiful song evokes more than just tears for me. In fact, I confess that hearing this song may also make me laugh… Before you view me distastefully, however, let me explain.

Setting: It was my sophomore year at BYU. What was I, 19? Anyway, in my apartment there was a long counter with two sinks that ran the length of an even longer mirror just outside the bathroom. Now each morning, my cousin/roommate and I prepared for the day while sitting in the adjacent sinks. It was the perfect position to apply our makeup, do our hair, chat… all while listening to “getting ready” music. And as I’m sure you have guessed, on one particular morning near the holiday season we were listening to Christmas music and Christmas Shoes turned on. It was beautiful.

Touched by the song, we were both overcome with emotion and couldn’t help but to tear up. And a lot… So much so that by the end of the song we each had long black streaks down the entire length of our faces from where our wetted eyes had carried our freshly applied mascara down to our chins. It was an embarrassing spectacle. Seeing how truly ridiculous we appeared, however, we broke out laughing so hard that we again began to spout tears...this time tears of joy. It was a most comical occasion and one of my dearest holiday memories. As for class, well… unable to simply touch up our disastrous appearances, we quickly washed our faces, reapplied our makeup, and only arrived slightly late to class. Oops.

Please note that we removed Christmas Shoes from our getting ready Christmas mix.     

Post a Comment