Utah State Fair

One of my favorite things to do at the end of each summer is attend Utah's State Fair. Sadly, it's been years since I attended... or at least it had been years.

So... this year at the state fair. Well, we appreciated the state art contests: photography, painting, sculptures, etc. We saw loads of animals: sheep, cows, goats, and pigs. Ps: Have I mentioned I want a pet pig? Strange, I know... but it's been a lifelong dream of mine. Someday…




Let's see, we had a shoot out with my sister Michelle and her friend, Sarah, who were also appreciating the fair festivities. Bryan won an awesome rastafari banana, which he gave to Michelle. Such love.


Also of significance... I won a trip to Yellowstone for the husband and me. Not kidding! Um... I'm not really sure what's going on seeing as I'm typically quite unlucky. Really though. My life's winnings include the Wicked lottery x2 and this. Meaning the first time I won anything was last year. The second time a week or so ago. And the third... this.


The details: Bry and I were wandering around one of the fair exhibits when we passed a stand with photographs of Yellowstone. It caught our eye mostly because of the picture of fly fishing—Bryan's other love—that and we have recently been discussing planning a trip to Yellowstone. Well, it just so happened that this booth was doing a drawing in 30 minutes for a chance to spin the wheel of prizes. Though our odds were slim to win the drawing, and then spin to win the grand prize, we thought why not? If we’re still around we'll come by to see.

Well, we were still around. There we stood with at least 50 other people waiting to see if we were the lucky one. Um... so I'm about to admit something that is kind of comical and almost pathetic. Remember how I won the Wicked lottery (here)? As in but a week and a half ago? Well... I admit that while I waited in line I said a lil prayer... something to the effect of "So...Heavenly Father. I know the Wicked lottery isn't really something that I expect you to help me to win... that being said I feel like it couldn't hurt to ask. So I suppose what I'm saying is... if it's right and there is no one else who truly needs it... I really wouldn't mind winning. Kind of like a final New York hurrah. That is... if it's something you think would be good. No pressure..." So I was feeling sentimental about leaving New York and wanted nothing more than to win. I meant what I said: that I didn't expect him to do anything... Ha. I’m pathetic I know. And quite hopeful.

Right, so the State Fair. Standing there as the man was about to draw the winner I thought to myself, Yeah... not going to happen. After all, I won the Wicked lottery just last week! Definitely can't pray to win this too... So I didn't pray. And to be honest, I didn't want it as bad as the Wicked lottery. Not that I'm ungrateful or anything. If anything, I think I told myself that I didn't truly want it because I didn't want to be disappointed. ...Can you tell I didn't think I was going to win? "I have a really good feeling about this," Bryan said. And then I won...

"Rachel Price!" the man shouted. (I haven't changed my name yet...) I was stunned. I didn't move. I said nothing. Normally I scream and jump up and down when I win. I did neither.

"Is there a Rachel Price here?" I merely raised my hand. Ha. How lame am I! What am I in school? Woman you just won the chance to spin for a prize! Show a little enthusiasm!

"Come on up for a spin!” So… I hate being in front of people. And I hate being the center of attention. "Come with me," I whispered to Bryan. No response. He hadn't heard me. Finally I headed up to the wheel alone.

“Alright,” he said. “Go ahead and spin.” So I did. I watched as it went around and around. It began to slow as he was shouting, "...there is only one grand prize, but if you don't get that there's..." He stopped speaking. The crowd started cheering. I won the grand prize! ha! What were the odds! I was floored. Shocked. Even the man in charge seemed shocked. Only once Bryan finally joined me up front for some celebrating did it all finally registered: I really did win! I won a trip to Yellowstone! And I love Yellowstone! And so ensued the jumping and screaming. I'm convinced I was the most awkward winner of all time.


Not a bad day at the fair…

Post a Comment