Because

The girl I nanny and I have sort of a game we play in which I say something a bit… ridiculous, she laughs and tells me to say it again, I say it again, and she laughs again… she asks again, I say, she laughs, etc, etc… For example,

Me: You are such a cute baby. What? A baby! You’re not a baby! You’re a big girl!
Toddler: [Laughter] Say I’m a baby again.
Me: You are such a stinking cute baby! What? A baby! Are you a baby? No… You’re a big girl!
Toddler: [Laughter] Say I’m a baby again....

Ok, so "game" might not be the right word. But you get what I mean. It keeps her happy. Anyway, I have to tell you about yesterday's "game"...  

Toddler: May I eat that piece of chicken?
Me: You may just as soon as I cook it. Cause, do we eat raw meat? No….
Toddler: [Laughing] Say, because do we eat raw meat?

My comment wasn't meant to be funny, but Ok. I'll go with it...

Me: Cause, do we eat raw meat? Do we eat meat without cooking it?
Toddler: [No laughter.] Say, because do we eat raw meat?
Me: Cause, do we eat raw meat?
Toddler: [No laughter] Say, because do we eat raw meat?
Me: Cause…do we eat raw meat?
Toddler: [No laughter.] Say, because do we eat raw meat?

Why are you making me repeat myself if you don’t think it’s funny? What kind of a game is this!

Me: Cause, do we eat raw meat?
Toddler: [Still no laughter] No! Say because, do we eat raw meat?

Am I missing something?

Me: [More hesitantly] Cause…
Toddler: [No laughter.] No! Rachel! Stop. Cause is not a word. It’s be-cause.

Ahhh. Thank you toddler.

And it finally clicked. We really weren’t playing the game... Love that a 2-year-old is giving me grammar lessons. She’s too cute. 

Post a Comment