Father's Day

What a wonderful Father’s Day it has been! We had Bryan’s brother, Jeff, over for some grub: fajitas, beans, rice, and of course brownies. Consider it a future father's day celebration! We ate, chatted, and then played a mean game of UpWords! I scored over 250! Can you believe it?! I am so proud! Right, now back to fathers...

I did happen upon the most beautiful quote today that I feel is quite fitting for the occasion. “Fatherhood is not a matter of station or wealth. It’s a matter of desire, diligence, and determination to see one’ family exalted in the celestial kingdom. If that prize is lost, nothing else really matters” (President Ezra Taft Benson, Ensign, May 1981, p. 36). Isn’t that beautiful? And somewhat intense... When reading it, I couldn’t help but feel sincere and reverent gratitude for the amazing father’s in my life. I am truly so grateful that they take the responsibility, blessing, and challenge of fatherhood so seriously and that they view it so eternally.

The first father is of course my dad.


Oh how I love my Pops! He is brilliant, hilarious, spiritual, fun, selfless, driven…the list goes on and on. For the sake of space and time, let’s discuss just three of the MANY things I love about my dad.
  1. Adventure. Adventure screams my dad’s name! He lives for adventure! You’ll never have more fun than when you’re with my dad. With him, it’s go, go, go. There is no room for unnecessary down time because he is constantly off exploring new places, meeting new people, and trying new things—whether in Utah or some random country on the other side of the world.
  2. Laugh. More than anything I love my dad’s laugh. He really knows how to laugh. We’re talking gut wrenching, tear jerking, can hardly breathe kind of belly laugh! And it’s the most contagious thing in the world! Once my dad gets going, we’re all gone… He’ll start chuckling, harder, and harder, then the laugh comes along with the tears at which point his laugh goes up a few decimals and he has to remove his glasses to wipe away the tears. It’s priceless.
  3. Morals and the gospel. My dad ALWAYS finds morals or makes parables out of everything and anything! It’s half hilarious and wholly uplifting. Following seeing the musical Little Shop of Horrors in D.C. last year, I still remember my Dad turning to all of us and saying, “Doesn’t that have such a great message? I mean, what is that about? Not going after the riches of the world. It’s not about money…” Note: while that theme was prevalent, the musical was really about a human eating plant! Still, I love that he can bring values and even spirituality and gospel principles into any setting.
And that’s my dad! The second father, is my husband Bryan.


No, this is not a preggers announcement. I’m not great with child…or even small with child. Growing up, however, we always celebrated future mothers and future fathers on such holidays as well. Consequentially, today is also a celebration of the future father of my children. Like my Pops, I could list an endless amount of qualities that I love about the husband. But likewise, I will again limit my thoughts to but three areas.
  1. Curious. Bryan is forever curious and therefore forever reading, researching, asking questions, and ultimately learning. I’ve never met someone who can read so many books at the same time and really read them! He loves to understand histories and how things work...all of which make him a rather intelligent guy. I love his curiosity!
  2. Supportive (and patient). I don’t know of too many people who would make middle of the night study snack runs during my finals. Well, Bryan has made many runs. And I certainly don’t know too many people who would cheerfully (key word: cheerfully) wake when I come to bed after finishing a paper at 3am to inquire how it went and if there was anything he could do to help. Bryan wakes, and then he’ll even offer to scratch my back until I fall asleep! He’s a keeper!
  3. Loving. I LOVE how my husband gives me a kiss EVERY morning before he leaves for work. Granted I don’t remember most of them seeing as I’m asleep...but I still love that he takes the time to show me he loves me 24/7.
And last and most importantly I'm so grateful for my Father in Heaven who watches over me and guides me every day! Happy happy Father’s Day to everyone!

Post a Comment