Sunday Evening Dessert

As mentioned here, Sunday evening is our family’s game and dessert night. All week I had been looking forward to baking (well mostly eating) my favorite brownies. Come this afternoon, however, I tragically found that we had no butter and very few eggs. Now Sunday is our Sabbath, or Holy Day, so we do not go to the store on Sundays. Thus seeing as we still needed a dessert, we had to get creative! I searched our cupboards high and low. Still, with no cake mixes, no butter, very few eggs, and a limited amount of cocoa powder, I admit I began to panic. Ok, maybe not panic…but feel sad. After all, I’m rather fond of sweets. Then, as I rummaged through our cupboards I found peanut butter, sugar, AND karao syrup. The perfect combination for a delicious recipe my friend, Becky, used to make when I lived in Ecuador years ago! Funny enough, until that moment I had near forgotten the fantastic dessert! Yet, it’s so simple, delicious, and naturally gluten-free! All I needed was cereal. Luckily we have quite the stock pile of Rice Chex.

Ingredients:
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup karo syrup
1 cup sugar
4-6 cups Rice Chex (or cereal of your choice)

Directions:
Measure 4 cups Rice Chex into a large bowl and set aside. Grease a 9x9 or 9” round pan and set aside. Heat peanut butter, karo syrup, and sugar in a sauce pan stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, then stir for an additional minute at boiling. Remove from heat and pour mixture into the bowl with Rice Chex (be careful as the mixture is VERY hot). Carefully stir (so not to break the cereal) so that the mixture coats the cereal. At this point, you might choose to add additional cereal. Finally, pour coated cereal into greased pan and press into pan (again be careful, I use a spatula so I don’t get burned). Set aside to cool (though I don't recommend cooling them in the freezer unless you want to break your teeth). Then… EAT! Delicious! Have they a name? I don’t know! Probably! I’m good with Gooey, Sticky, Peanut Butter Happiness in a Pan…that works right?

Ps: in Ecuador we sometimes even coated them with melted chocolate (milk chocolate, semi-sweet, or combined butterscotch and milk chocolate), that or we frosted them with chocolate frosting!

Chocolate Frosting:
1 stick butter softened
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
Milk (to liking)

Directions: Mix butter, cocoa powder, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Once smooth, add milk (small amounts at a time) to achieve desired consistency. (Note, if it tastes too powdered sugary, add more cocoa powder.)

Note: Frost only once the cereal bars are cool or your frosting will melt.

Sigh. I love dessert! And I love the Sabbath! And I really love having dessert on the Sabbath. Ha.

Post a Comment