Open Studio

This past weekend, Bryan and I went to our good friend, Alycia’s (who I recently talked about here), open studio (meaning a time when everyone is invited to walk through students’ studios and appreciate their work) at her art school.

Alycia is a brilliant and masterful artist! She is talented, creative, and innovative! She puts a great deal of thought and heart into all of her work. She loves painting and she loves creating worlds. As of late, Alycia has specifically been working on a fairytale series in which she puts twists common fairytale stories. For example, she painted Little Red Riding Hood playing fetch with the wolf. In another, Belle (from Beauty and the Beast) is trying to escape the Beast by attempting to flee the painting all together. The one behind us is Alice and Wonderland:


And this one is Hansel and Gretel.  Note the witch is in the cake:


It was so fun seeing Alycia and all of her phenomenal work!  

...and can I just say that I find artistic talent truly mesmerizing. Perhaps, in part, that is because I have no artistic talent myself. Instead, I have what I call "artistic appreciation", meaning I appreciate! Really though: I am one fantastic appreciator!

After appreciating Alycia's work, we then went to see all the other students’ work (three floors worth!). I was amazed by the diversity in styles and interests among students. The variety was both magical and mysterious. Some students painted happiness, while others painted grotesque darkness. There were paintings of fear, and sculptures of victory and sadness. Everyone was so skilled and so passionate. Funny enough, upon seeing the various moods and worlds students concocted, I couldn’t help but think like a social worker: I wanted to explore their reasoning for conveying everything and anything. I wanted to explore their past and present to see how it resembled their art. Why were they painting sadness? Why were they painting confusion? Why were they painting abstractly? Why were they using bright colors? Why? Why? Why? Obviously, I did not engage in any such conversations. I mean can you imagine, "Excuse me stranger artist. I noticed you painted a girl stabbing a boyfriend figure, is that perhaps because you hate your boyfriend? Or did he recently dump you?" Yeah, definitely didn't ask...not that I'd ever ask anyone those questions like that anyway... Still, I found the many creations intriguing artistically and psychologically.

What a fun and invigorating night. I even feel a bit more cultured.

Post a Comment