New York Sunglasses

When I first moved to NYC, I often scoffed at the scores of people wearing sunglasses on the subway. We’re talking below ground, dim lights, no sun… seems odd, right? Why? What was their reason? Their motive? Was it laziness? Was it efficiency? Was it the pollution? Was it because everyone else was doing it? Was it a way to evade making eye contact or having any social interactions at all?

Well, I still don’t know the answer. What I can tell you, though, is that I actually wore my sunglasses on the subway today. [Gasp] I know. I don’t know what came over me. It sort of just happened. I didn’t even think. There I was on the red line, noting the many people sporting sunglasses and thinking how it doesn’t seem so strange to me anymore, when it dawned on me I am wearing sunglasses. Stranger yet, it felt natural. Organic, even. I guess you could say I’m now an official New Yorker.


Post a Comment